Sunday, November 7, 2010

Twisted Cards #032 "Punch"

Let me start by saying that when I first saw this sketch, I thought I would have difficulty creating something exciting and different. Wow was I surprised! I think I must of had some major creative mojo going on that day! I made this card for my mother-in-law's birthday and I think this has to be my FAVORITE card I have ever created. I tried to think outside of the box, and pulled out all the stops on this one. From stitching to layering and "fussy" cutting, I think I covered almost every technique I know. (I would have to say that my cousin inspires me to go the extra mile, and do the very best I can.) I am sure most of you know this super amazing chick, Nancy Hanttula. Yeah, she has been on the Twisted Sketches team for over a year now creating the most unbelievable layouts known to womankind! If not, you MUST check her out at her blog, http://www.justaboutthedetails.com/. I warn you now, you will be jaw dropping and drooling like crazy!

Okay, here are all the yummy details about the card. First I started with just your basic kraft cardstock. I folded it in half and cut it down to a standard 5 X 7. Then, I took solid red paper (My Mind's Eye) and punched 4 "Fancy Squares" at the top and bottom of the rectangle. (McGill) After mounting it to the cardstock, I punched holes and stitched around the squares using black embroidery floss. Recently purchasing the new Basic Grey Jovial papers, I knew I wanted to incorporate them into this card. Using the Winter Garden paper, I chose to cut out the flowers & leaves. To accentuate, I found a black & white patterned cardstock to create some contrast. (Crate Paper's Crate Avenue Collection, Simple) To make the flowers and starbursts, I used the Martha Stewart Daisy Fan Deep Edge Punch. As you can see in the images, I took 2 punches and put them together using a brad. The flower was then done. Taking it one step further, I cut the scalloped edge off to create the starburst. For the last finishing touches, I used pop dots to give everything dimension, Pink Paislee's Cherry Chipboard Alphabet for "happy", Stampin' Up's Happy Everything for "BIRTHDAY", Ranger's Black Embossing Powder for intensity on the leaf, Swingline's green staples, & CTMH's Liquid Glass & Prisma Glitter to give it extra sparkle. I hope you truly enjoy this as much as I do.

Anam Stubbington, creator of Twisted Sketches creates the amazing designs that inspires us to create. Won't you stop by and check out all the other wonderful creations? http://www.twistedsketches.com/

7 comments:

Nancy said...

OH MY GOODNESS! you weren't kidding with this one! This is absolutely AMAZING!!!! really extraordinary!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE every painstaking detail....no doubt you ROCKED this sketch! BRAVO!!!!!!!! BRAVO!!!!!!! BRAVO!!!!!! :)

Jessy Christopher said...

You create beautiful cards & this is one of them. Loving the colors & the fussy cutting is amazing :)

Chrissy said...

I didn't know Nancy was your cousin! And you're right. Her work is absolutely AMAZING and it really means a lot to me when comments on my work.

Your mosaics look absolutely GORGEOUS and I can't wait to check out your site!

Unknown said...

Wow, this card is stunning! I absolutely adore it! Look at all of the beautiful details. You're an amazing artist!

Valerie said...

So pretty, Amy - you really did an amazing job with this sketch!

Anonymous said...

Stunning!! Love this card!! Amazing job! :)

Sharm Nidyanandan said...

I love your choice of colours on this piece! such a fabbie card!! :)