Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Keep Calm & Just Call Mom! :)

If an aqua rotary phone doesn't scream vintage, I don't know what does!  Awhile back I got my hands on the vintage telephone die.  I love die cutting shapes from unexpected materials.  I think that is why I love my Vagabond so much.  I am not the typical scrapbook and/or layout artist.  In fact I think I have only completed 5 layouts ever!  Being much more of a mixed media artist, I find myself always looking to incorporate other things than the traditional paper.  Looking around for the next "die cut" victim, my eyes fell upon a gorgeous aqua blue shoebox.  This vintage shoebox housed some crazy cool women's bowling shoes from the 1940's.  The box was really thick chipboard, and using the bigz die allowed the design to cut through it like butter!  :)  Then, I set it aside and admired my little aqua rotary phone until inspiration for that special piece would strike. 

I loved the aqua phone so much, I didn't want to use it on just a card.  I decided I wanted to create it into art...a home decor piece that could be admired again and again.  Being such an anxious person, I have really enjoyed the "KEEP CALM" poster craze you see everywhere.  You know, the "KEEP CALM & CARRY ON" to the "KEEP CALM & EAT A CUPCAKE!"  When I came across the "KEEP CALM & JUST CALL MOM," I knew this was the perfect caption for my sweet little phone.  The rest is history.

Now onto the details to create...
1.  Take a wooden window box frame and sand/distress all the wood's edges and corners.  I used an UMBRA frame.  It has 4 layers of glass and the display area is 5.5 X 7".
2.  Discover some fabulous ephemera for the background layer.  I found a 1959 Jonesboro, Arkansas phone directory at an estate sale.  It is loaded with cool vintage advertising and all the phone numbers are only 5 digits long.  The directory has white pages, yellow pages and another section that is a minty green/pale aqua color.  For me, it's all about the details.  If you notice, the page I chose to use has a greenhouse advertisement.  At the left is an illustration of mums.  Flowers and gardening always makes me think of Mom.  How about you?

3.  In addition to the telephone , die cut 3 sets of the vintage alphabet into black contact paper/vinyl.
Cut one more telephone out of the black vinyl too.  The center will be used later.
4.  Dip all the die cut letters in dark gray paint halfway down and set aside to dry.
5. Now it's time to assemble! As I said earlier, there are 4 glass panes that slide in and out of the frame. Starting with the first layer aka the back, place your 5.5 X 7" piece of ephemera on the glass. In this case, the mint/aqua directory page. Layer 2 will be the letters. Once the letters are dry, they are easy to peel and adhere.  Remember, they are created from contact paper!  :)  Measure the pane evenly and be sure to allow space for the telephone in the center.  The black letters dipped in the gray paint is a very cool added detail.  It almost looks ombre' and adds visual interest.  The 3rd layer is for the phone. Center it and adhere it to the glass.
The 4th layer is the very top layer.  Place the black center of the phone directly over the aqua one below. Create a 1" button out of map paper to tie in the colors. I added the American Crafts ampersand sticker.  The font goes perfectly with the vintage alphabet.  Don't you think?  Apply "just" script stickers over the base of the phone.  I love the contrast.  The last step is to cut a pointed finger out of Tim Holtz' washi tape and place directly left of "CALL."

As I said earlier, I am an anxious person and always have been.  May this picture be a gentle reminder for when things get rough.  Who am I kidding?  My mom is always my first call!  :)  Thanks Mom for always being there.  I love you!

Sizzix Dies:  Bigz Vintage Telephone, Sizzlits Vintage Market Strip
Paper:  Danny O
Stickers:  American Crafts Remarks Transparent & Sarah Script White Letters
Washi:  Tim Holtz
Other:  UMBRA Window Box Frame, Black Contact Paper (adhesive backed)
Vintage Other:  1959 Telephone Directory of Jonesboro, Arkansas, Aqua Shoebox for phone
Tools:  Vagabond, sandpaper, 1" button maker, foam dots
Paint:  Gray


8 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

This is soooooooooooo fun!! I love love love love love it!!

Audrey Pettit said...

Oh, wow, Amy! This is soooooo awesome! I love, love your take on the Keep Calm posters. That old vintage phone in turquoise is fabulous, and I love the paint dipped lettering and your handmade flair button. This all comes together brilliantly and is so fun!

Irini said...

Amy just stunning!!!!!!! love love love it!!!
hugz
irini

Lynnda said...

Ahh ... this so clever!!! ..its fun too... Thanks for playing along with US over at LESSology.... hugs...x

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

What a fun fun piece! I love the sentiment and phone! The colors are fabulous! Awesome!

Anonymous said...

oh my word - all the levels on this projects are amazing! Great work! - Vivian

Unknown said...

This is too cool :)

Michelle Hernandez said...

Oh my goodness Amy! This project is so amazing! I saw it over at the Scrapbook & Cards Magazine and was tickled to see your name and project on the very top of the list right where they belong. Congrats this is a FABULOUS project!!!