Thursday, November 11, 2010

Architectural Salvage...

Have you ever enjoyed an afternoon scouring an antique store or an estate sale rummaging through old architectural pieces? I LOVE finding such unique remnants. They are so old, and serve such an elegant piece of history. Occasionally I stumble across such pieces, and I do literally stumble in excitement. I found these lovelies at an antique store in Bethany, OK called The Rink. If you have never been there before and live in Oklahoma, it is definitely worth the drive. If you go,plan to spend an afternoon there. When I say an afternoon, I mean an ENTIRE afternoon. It is 27,000 square feet of the most unique, ecclectic, antique collectibles you can find. Check it out at http://www.rinkgallery.com/antiquemall.html

Now onto the details...
I took the architectural pediments and used them as the base. Already painted white with many, many layers of paint peaking through in shades of pale yellow, pink & mint green these babies were calling my name as soon as I saw them. To start with, I stamped text all over the center of the block using StazOn ink. For the center, I took a red/white pokkadot cupcake liner and cut out the center. I then, formed a smaller circle and made larger accordion folds. I applied silver Stickles around the outer edge of the liner and adhered it to the center of the board. Next I took a 4" cast iron star and topped it off with a vintage bingo marker. To accentuate the carved indentions in the wood, I took kraft paper and cut/glued it into the leaf shapes. At the bottom, I used vintage black wooden dominoes. To complete the found ephemera look, I decided to play along with the star since it is after all the focal point of the piece. Each wall hanging is intended to be separate with the titles of "SHINING," "SPARKLE," & "TWINKLE." At first I thought they had a festive Christmas feel. The more I think about it, how cute would one of these look in a child's room? I hope to make more of these very soon. As soon as I can find some more of these pediments! All 3 of these pieces are available for purchase at Tulips on Campus Corner, Norman, OK. Have a great evening, and as always thanks for stopping by!

7 comments:

Gypsy Purple said...

This is fabulous!!!

babalisme said...

I love going to antique shop as well! Finding something is like finding a treasure hidden beneath the sands..

Valerie said...

I want to got there!! We have friends in Stillwater - wonder if that is anywhere near there.
These are absolutely gorgeous!!! Great finds and a beautiful project :)

Valerie said...

thanks so much for the info, Amy...time to plan a visit ;)

Jeanne Oliver said...

THis is really fun and original!!!

Nancy said...

I LOVED the Rink! and these projects are amazing!

mojodawn said...

SO cool! I really do like these. I have a spot for them as a matter of fact :)