Sunday, October 30, 2011

Halloween Crows or Bird Clowns?

I have been working on several of these birds over the past few weeks. My little Sam has been watching me create and keeps referring to them as "clown birds" which gives me a chuckle. I guess it is the hat and the ruffles around the neck that might have given him that idea?

The 2 birds on the pedestals (pictured below) I created for my sister & brother. They both have October birthdays so the numbers on the hats represent their ages. I created the bigger bird for myself with the "31" representing Halloween. (Yeah, I wish I was 31 again!)

Basically all the birds started out as a brown resin and I painted them all black to make them look more like crows. I sanded them to give them a distressed look and then added some fun black and polka dot feathers to the tails for added interest. I made the hats from an old art instruction manual and black pom poms. Mine actually has an orange bell at the top that I recently received in a Halloween box swap. For the ruffle I called on my wonderful seemstress mother to create. Basically she layered orange and black crepe paper, straght stitched and then gathered. I really need to start sewing...she made it look so easy! The polka dot ruffles I created out of polka dot cupcake liners! I added some silver Stickles for some extra sparkle. Lastly, I typed on some little kraft banners and attached to the legs.

Other than the Halloween Curiosities Box Swap and these birds I have not done too much crafting this month. Usually this time of year, I am frantically getting ready for the insanely fun Girlie Show but I thought I might take off this year and just enjoy the fall with my kiddos...the mummy & son masquerade ball...the pumpkin patch...the zoo...carving pumpkins...making goodies for school parties...warming up by the fire outside while eating hot stew & s'mores...this has definitely been a fun October for me and my little guys. Time goes by way too fast...sometimes we just have to stop and enjoy the everyday. We have made some fantastic memories over the past few weeks and it makes me so very happy.

I will stop back by tomorrow to share with you the boys' costumes this year. They are always fun to put together. :) Until then, be sure to link your Halloween projects over at Paper Issues through tomorrow. We would love to see what spooky goodies you have to share!

8 comments:

Pamela said...

These are awesome!!! :)

Marilyn said...

Wow, Gorgeous!!! I love it!! Hugs! :)

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

WOW WOW WOW WOWWWWWWWWWWWWW! These are AMAZING!! I love them!! :):):):):):):):):):):)

Julie Ann Rachelle Interior Design said...

Wow!!! yours are sooooo super cute and creative Amy! so awesome! I was trying to stay with a b&w theme, but I loveeeee your splash of orange.

JaN's ArTy JouRneY said...

Words fail me....Amazing!

Chrissy said...

These are amazing! I love how they turned out!

Audrey Pettit said...

Wowzers! These birds are absolutely fabulous! So right up my Halloween-loving alley! You are amazing, Amy!!

Leah's Crafty Life said...

The crows are amazing!!!!!! I am in love. xoxo