Thursday, December 30, 2010

Family Heirloom Calendar



So I have been creating these perpetual calendars for 2 years now, and I don't even want to think about how many of these little suckers I have created! Although it can be monotonous at times, occasionally I get to create one that means so much more. Yeah, there are tons of vintage pieces on each one with a secret history of its own, but never for us to know. We only can collect and appreciate its beauty for what it is. A few months back at the Girlie Show, I met such a passionate lady that truly treasures her history and family. After lots of phone calls and meetings, I finally created what I hope she & her family will treasure for many years to come. Rather than just having me create from my own stash of goodies, she provided me with MANY of her own to incorporate into the piece. How cool is that? Here are some of the absolutely fantastic trinkets of her family history she provided me...
-a Susan B Anthony $1 coin dated 1889 (the year of the Oklahoma Land Run) (day #1)
-an Indian Head/Buffalo nickel (her grandmother had been a collector of coins over the years and these were some of them from the collection) (used as day #5)
-an old wrist watch that her grandmother used to wear (used as day #12, added Prima gold flower to the base/band to give it more presence)
-an old glass doorknob that had been in her grandmother's old house (I used Prima diecut felt and a pokkadot cupcake liner to accentuate it at the top of the calendar for more visual interest) (see image at top)
-a little red glass knob (added a vintage #9 typewriter key for day #9)
-several letterpress numbers (used for day #4)
-a copper/wood letterpress block of Santa (used as day #25 for Christmas)
-as well as wooden letterpress letters that she had bought back when her son was just a baby, spelling out his name, Ryan (I used them to create/spell out 12 months of the year)

I will never forget creating such a special calendar for such a special lady. Thank you Cheryl for entrusting me with your keepsakes for awhile!

5 comments:

patti west said...

wow - how fortunate for you to have the opportunity to create this fabulous keepsake! It is gorgeous!! I'm sure Cheryl will treasure it forever.

Andrea Amu said...

This is so amazing! I love it, girl! Makes me want to create one of my own!

Robin Thomas said...

Oh. Oh Lordy. Again just past fab.

Nancy said...

Dazzling! I've been wanting to see this one! and you out-did yourself! truly special and stunning!

Jenni said...

I love this idea of incorporating your own little heirlooms. I am going to have to start collecting some. This is beautiful and so meaningful! I love it!