Monday, May 2, 2011

Perpetual Calendar made of Cork!

This is a new take on the perpetual calendars I make. Rather than doing it on metal, this time I decided to create one on cork. Same concept, but rather than using magnets...all the numbers are pushpins!

To create my calendar let me first talk about all the fabulous images around the edges. It may look store bought because the images are so crisp, but no! Those are in fact stamped images I put on the cork...amazing, huh! About a month ago I hit up a garage sale that had thousands of amazing stamps...all brand new with intense details...full of fabulous vintage imagery. I bought about 20 stamps that day and am kicking myself now that I didn't buy more. For $1 & $2 a piece, what the heck was I thinking! 90% of the stamps used on this calendar are of those garage sale beauties...the rest are a few from Pink Paislee & the Girls Paperie. I created a mask so that the center of the cork would be untouched for the calendar grid. I placed a bracket shape piece of paper on top of the cork and started stamping away. Since there is so much texture with cork and there is so much detail in the stamps, I had my reservations at first. Let me just tell you, the key is to use Staz-On. That stuff is the bomb...I use it on practically everything! Next, I drew my grid with a Sharpie and stamped the days of the week using one of my Fancy Pants stamp sets. To create all the numbers, I went through tons of my paper & sticker stash pulling anything with numbers on it. I also used some pages from catalogs, magazines, etc. I used my handy dandy button making machine, as I have told many of you before...this is a fun, must have gadget for all you crafters out there. :)

I hope you enjoy it! Tell me which you like better. The magnetic or the corkboard, I really am curious about your thoughts. Just want some input as to whether I should make more of this kind or continue to focus my efforts on the magnetic. As always, thanks so much for your support and your sweet comments.

I turn the big "40" today. I can't believe it, where has the time gone! I plan to spend it with my sweet little Sam (3) by my side as well as many close family and friends for lunch & dinner. It is supposed to be in the 70's today & sunny...my absolute favorite kind of weather. :)

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy birthday!!!!! :) And just wanted to say this corkboard calendar is amazing!!! Brilliant!

Sharm Nidyanandan said...

Happy Happy Birthday Amy!!!! :)This calender is out of the world!!! It's totally gorgeous!! and your stamping is sooo pretty!!!! I love the vintage effect!! I like both calenders but wud def pref the corkboard one..seems a wee bit easier to make! *Lol*

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!! This is AMAZING!!! WOW WOW WOW!! I am seriously blown away!!! And HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Medeah said...

Oh my goodness! A garage sale with a ton of stamps! How fun! I want to kick you for not buying more! Ha! It was so good to meet you at Glitter Market. You are a funny gal. Your blog is amazing and so are you! You better call me if you happen upon another garage sale like that! Medeah

RĂ´ Philippsen said...

OMG, this calendar is amazing! So perfect and different. Just love it!

Brenda said...

what a brilliant idea, Amy! I love it!!

JaN's ArTy JouRneY said...

Hope you had a fantastic 40th Birthday!
...and Wowsa, love the calendar...and love love love all those beautiful stamps. You have stamped everything so beautifully...and it must of taken you ages to sort and make all those number buttons/pins, but worth it because the whole thing is awesome!
Jan x

~jan said...

First of all, Happy [belated] Birthday, Amy!! Hope you had the best day ever! :) This calendar is amazing! Those stamps are so detailed-you nailedit! The little number buttons are fab. I cant say which calendars I like better-I love them both equally but for different reasons! (Ha-that didnt help you at all, did it?) ;)

Nancy said...

Amy ... you know how amazing I think this is! and it has totallly inspired me with my latest page (will be sharing on the 15th, and will definitely be giving you a "shout out") Mom loved it too! that stamping is absolutely over-the-top FANTASTIC!

Nancy said...

Truly outstanding AMY! I linked this up in my post!